Vickers on MILWEB

handler 69

What Vickers do you mean there are two .303 vickers on milweb both are priced -both quite high very much higher than on D & B militara.

BTW calling something a Vickers without being more specific is very vague there are many Military things made by vickers from Battle Tanks to tractors (one is even mentioned on the forum at present) guns from huge cannons to LMGs -even P08 pistols can be found with vickers stamps.

I believe it was a prototype probably as a competition for the same market as the Armscor company that Tony B mentioned (Kenya Nigeria other African countries which the old Vickers company had an interest).

It or a similar one hung around the back lot at Vickers (BAE) Newcastle for years I can remember talking to the PRO at Vickers about it in 2002 -not that I had any interset in it I was just explaining that an interesting relic (03DA26 the Vicker Falcon A/A spg hull) was parked between the 6x6 A/C and an old Transit. Both 6x6 and the transit have now gone the 6x6 I last saw around 2-3 years ago, the Flacon hull is still there -prototype No2 in the Abbot series it was used to move complete warrior turrets around the factory during an upgrade.

So what about the Mk11 its a failed marketing prop. I can't remember if the then Vickers-Alvis managed to sell any at all -but I don't think so.

Steve

There you are then owt to keep you happy:D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34208[/ATTACH]

Vickers VIB one of two brought back from Australia in the 1980s by A.F. Budge

I note the fire extinguisher to hand.. Was it a runner then ? And where is it now ?

timbo

Was it a runner then ? And where is it now ?

Yes it was a total restoration and I think it may part of the Littlefield Collection but I'm not 100% sure -they tend to be all similar- and once repainted it becomes diffficult be sure its the same vehicle. There was a second one which was semi-restored and I don't know were that one went.

Steve

Yes it was a total restoration and I think it may part of the Littlefield Collection but I'm not 100% sure -they tend to be all similar- and once repainted it becomes diffficult be sure its the same vehicle. There was a second one which was semi-restored and I don't know were that one went.

Steve

The MkVIa shown is in IWM at Duxford. Talking to one of the workshop staff a few years ago, I do not think it was a runner.

The other one of the two that Budge brought back from Australia, was a wreck, with parts of the hull cut out. It was restored to a fine condition and that is the one that went to Jacques Littlefield's collection, no way was it semi-restored. Attached is a photo of it on completion.

Transfer&sort 041.jpg

Richard Farrant

The MkVIa shown is in IWM at Duxford. Talking to one of the workshop staff a few years ago, I do not think it was a runner.

On the day I took that photo KOALA was meant to be a runner and had a mechanical failure -hence the open engine compartment and extinguiser- I didn't ask what had happened I did not want to see a grown man cry:cry:
The other one of the two that Budge brought back from Australia, was a wreck, with parts of the hull cut out. It was restored to a fine condition and that is the one that went to Jacques Littlefield's collection, no way was it semi-restored.
Thanks for advising me of the correct location of the two tanks, again on that Budge open day the scrap MkVI was still being resorted hence my statement it was semi-restored I was well aware that it was restored from a tank that had its metal work cut away to make scrub busting blades -the photos of its found contition were also on display - but really if I have to start checking in minutiae or getting my brief to look at my posts I don't think I'll bother

Steve

To get back to the original question I would imagine this would be a very difficult vehicle to value. On the one hand it's rarity would suggest a high value, but is it not true that people don't tend to want one off vehicles since they are very hard to get parts for and as a prototype it won't have any operational history....

timbo

.....I would imagine this would be a very difficult vehicle to value. On the one hand it's rarity would suggest a high value,

Personally I wouldn't value it highly from what I can gather its a prototype with no service record- AFAIK it isn't even a modified verson of a service type, so in effect it has no history -what are people going to do put a cross on the side and try to pass it off as a SdKfz 231 6rad perhaps:-)- seriously the turret that was designed for the 4x4 APC Valkyr and the Saxon was taken to the scrap yard. Personally if i was looking for a post war 6 wheeler I would still go for a Saladin or Saracen -b***h to maintain but lots of history and character.

handler 69

G'day all Wasn't trying to upsey anyone, but was just curious about the vehicle was all :-D.......No pocket money to afford it anyway LOL

No problem mate, you didn't .....lack of cash is not rare- maybe there should be a sub forum for the indigent:cool2:

I have been to look at it today and em,,,,,

Well the ad says the engine and box is with it, yes A engine and box from a firengine is with it. But this truck has never never had an engine fitted. there are no diffs driveshafts exhaust or even a whole for the exhaust to come out of.the engine covers are welded shut or just never made to open. no brakes as they were to be inboard next to the diff. No mounting points for the diffs ,Dash is not conected to anything, It was in a vidio but was being towed the camara came round the back taking pics they stoped then pushed it and more pics to look like it was driving. Its cosmetic but no drivetrain at all there are wishbones and hubs for the wheels shocks and coil springs. no fuel tank. its a shell . I AM THINKING IT OVER BUT THE PARTS TO MAKE IT GO???? em

but 25k ?

• 2 years later...